Thursday, January 28, 2010

Royal Throne---Feeling Like A Queen!

My week has been filled with lots of potty talk, treats, stickers, accidents, and so so sooooooo much JOY. :)

I was praying Monday morning while I was in the shower (ok, so, honestly it was more like afternoon) about Liam's potty training and whether or not to start trying again. David and I attempted a few months ago right when Liam turned 2, only to find out he was SO NOT ready and the whole weekend attempt ended in tears....on all sides. So we decided not to push and held off.

Well, I was praying for discipline for David and I to be consistent with sticking to it when we do start up again. But I also prayed specifically for Liam to be MOTIVATED to go on the potty.

No joke, probably an hour or two later, Liam wanted an oatmeal cookie (that David so graciously got twisted into making from scratch the other night). I saw this tiny toddler's humble request for sugar as an open door, so I made a deal with him. If he would try to go potty, then he could have a cookie. Thinking nothing of it, I helped him onto his "Royal Potty" which makes music when he is "successful"....and was soon informed that he wanted the door shut. Ok, easy enough, he's just gonna play around for a while and then be done. I ran down stairs to check my email while he hung out on the throne....a couple seconds later I hear the trumpets sound and some majestic tune followed by a cute little voice yelling "I did it Mommy!"


I sprinted up the stairs...somewhat nervous because he knows how to make this potty make music by tipping it upside down and pushing the music button underneath....and he also tells me "he did it" every time, even when he doesn't go. But, this time, it was for real!

I have never been so excited over seeing urine! I jumped up and down screaming and clapping! He got a sticker to add to his potty chart, lots of high fives, a special phone call to daddy, and of course, the much desired and deserved cookie.

Making a long story even longer....he continued to want to go potty about 4 more times in a span of 1o minutes. The day resulted in about 10+ successful pottys on the toilet, and even ended with a quick outing in the car in which he stayed dry in his undies!

He also has a special football toilet seat that sits on the regular toilet. He calls this the "big one" and now chooses it every time but likes to follow up with the Royal throne....for music's sake.
Running out of oatmeal cookies, I had to get creative with rewards.



Tiny marshmallows that were partially stale were added to the list....As were broken pieces of a rainbow candy cane leftover from Christmas....highly motivating.
This little guy has been sporting many a pair of fashionable undies, which I think look adorable on him! The week has been filled with so much pottying success! We are on day 4, he has had a couple accidents at home. He has made 3 big outings in public (including library story time, trip to the playground with friends, and dinner at a restaurant) and done great! Staying dry every time. He even let the nursery workers at church last night take him potty!

I am proud of my boy, but even more so am amazed at how quickly God heard my cry for help and came to my rescue :) Every now and then an immediate answer to a seemingly unimportant prayer is just what we need to be reminded that He does listen and does care about the small things. Thank you, God.

Pooping on the potty will be another story and require another special prayer.....

5 comments:

  1. Who knew there would be a little uplifting message at the end. Good job mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH girl. The poop stories I could tell. Oh wait. I did :)

    Yay for pee in the potty! And yes, use ANYTHING that works as a bribe :) LOVE those cute undies, where'dya get em?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    I LOVE Gymboree undies, but hate the price so I stock up when I see them on clearance. I actually just ordered some more tonight for around $1.50 each after my coupon. They have guitars and drums on them, and of course skulls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Liam! Keep it up Leah. :)

    ReplyDelete